Monday, August 27, 2012

Mini Makeover...

When I was redesigning my kitchen almost a decade ago...the one thing that I designed at the time...
that has always been one of those things in hindsight that I've questioned....is my kitchen "desk area".

It sounded good in theory because I needed storage above the desk in the form of cabinetry.... a little marble desk with a drawer and shelf above for cookbooks sounded like a very functional use of the space for phones, computer, etc. 


Over the years I have tried to make it work...ala the cookbooks on the shelf...



I don't even have a great picture of the desk area because in it's usual state it's pretty unworthy of photographing and has become a way station for "stuff" as these kinds of spaces often do in a room that sees this much action!

In reality I don't want to use a desk in the hub of the home (hence my office upstairs)  So, this weekend I decided to change it up...clean it up! Make it pretty!

I never liked the bland unfinished look of the maple inlay of the shelf so...

I went to my one of my favorite haunts The Paper Source and they had just gotten in some new papers that would be perfect in the shelf area...I attached with ZOTS (removable clear adhesive dots found in all sizes at the store) so that if it didn't work... no harm no foul! Also, as my taste changes I can easily swap out new wallpapers...just the best!



 
Getting to display a few silver pieces is so much better than the mish mosh that previously occupied the space....


I like the cleaner aesthetic of these built-ins on each wall much better now....


The best part about this makeover is that I get to display my new teal glassware ( yes truly teal- this picture has distorted the color) found recently at an antique store....



As the kids go back to school I am definitely in an organizing mode...as I am sure many of you are as well. We purged and organized my teenage daughter's room this weekend and my office is next...stay tuned!

 



 

 

11 comments:

  1. That is a wonderful transformation. Very smart! I love the new look and it looks like it always was there! IT FITS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patty! I love all your positive feedback!:)

      Delete
  2. I love this ... I am currently trying to find the perfect paper for a little niche by my fireplace! I love my kids ... I cannot wait to get them back in School! I have THINGS to do!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just in paper source, and it is so amazing. Im thinking of papering a wall with one of those papers. Your choice is one of my favorites! This niche looks fantastic! I can't wait to get my home back in a few days and start deep cleaning and organizing after the summer influx of people and more pets!
    xo Nancy
    Powellbrowerhome.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks awesome- love the paper idea- so easily changed when you get bored! You are so right - those little desk areas are catch alls .That space would also make a great bar area! Susan at Romancing the Home

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful space! Love the paper ...really eyecatching! And the blue glasses make it pop :)

    Mandy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mandy- I must admit I am crazy for those glasses- flea market find!

      Delete
  6. Your kitchen is beautiful! I love how you changed it up and that paper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tiffany..I am so enjoying watching the progress on your lovely home! Hope you are feeling good!

      Delete
  7. The paper looks great Emily! What an amazing stylist you are...it is all phhto worthy now!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...