Wednesday, September 25, 2013

My favorite Jewish holiday...

Sukkot is a Jewish religious holiday celebrated on the 15th day of the month in late September to late October (depending on the Jewish calendar). The holiday lasts seven days.The Hebrew word sukkōt is the plural  of sukkah which is a walled structure covered with skhakh (plant material such as leafy tree overgrowth or palm leaves).



Here are local examples...built by my girlfriends in their backyards...



The sukkah is intended as a reminiscence of the type of fragile dwellings in which the Israelites dwelt during their 40 years of travel in the desert after fleeing from slavery in Egypt. Throughout the holiday meals are eaten inside the sukkah and many sleep there as well.



I just love visiting these structures and a party inevitably begins...it has become a favorite Fall ritual for me as well...







I am not Jewish but this is definitely my favorite holiday on the Jewish calendar! ( I would be all over this one if I was!) I am so lucky to have wonderful friends who include me and my family in this wonderful tradition every year...
 


 


 

 
                                                                   XO Emily

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Emily for the history of this Holiday. I was unfamiliar with it and treasure learning about it. Thank you.
    Patty

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...