Sunday, October 5, 2014

Tica's Take...on design!





My gal pal of 30 years has kept a secret from me...


she has a fabulous Texas home in hill country....


I visited her a couple of weeks ago...for the first time in this particular house...



and as much as I know about her after all these years I never knew she had SUCH a knack for collecting as well as design...because...for so many years we discussed children, clothes, etc. all the OTHER stuff!


She's very modest too of course and quite a class act...but also VERY funny...when I asked if I could blog about her house she agreed only if I would capture her in her "faux Martha Stewart" pose in her kitchen....she just cracks me up!




As you enter her foyer..this fab nook greets visitors...



She cleverly split her living room into two different spaces using this decked out antique table....


here's the room so you can see it on a larger scale...





As you look to the front of the room this fabulous mirror looms large and fabulously in the corner...I am so crazy for this piece that I asked her (only half jokingly) to leave it to me in her will....lol.



Here's where the "green-eyed monster" peeked in for me!! Tica (aka Patricia) has mastered the art (pun intended) of collecting such wonderful Art from consignment and flea market haunts...it fills her home beautifully...and can we please pause a moment to appreciate those fabulous brass candlesticks?




More Art and collectibles...



This little vignette just makes me so happy in her library/study/office...so whimsical..and SO RIGHT!!




Here's the other side of the room... again more crazy fun Art!



An example of her bookshelves in that space...



and now wide screen...



A couple of other loves...a hostess who matches her teacup to the color of tea served (passion herbal blend) and that planter that resides outside her side door...



More of her Art collection...









I LOVE that she used a painting from her daughter's younger years as a headboard in her guest room.


Another fave... her brass log caddy placed next to her fireplace below... she uses it for magazine storage...and was horrified that I took this picture...I told her it will make her look "well read" lol...frankly it just makes her look cool!


and some other nooks around the house as well...




I just love my shell shots...this collections stands tall in her foyer....on an antique pedestal...


more collections....





How funky/cool is this chair that she uses in a mix matched set around her kitchen table?

She described how it was "love at first sit" and that she just had to throw it in the mix somehow and somewhere....and it WORKS! That is the lesson for me always...buy what you love and it will work somewhere in your spaces....


The bead board ceiling in her kitchen/great room...and the fixture over her kitchen table...LOVE!



 Tica made a really cool/great/fab..."want to copy on my next go around"...choice for her kitchen hardware....

More of her collections...gotta love a gal who loves blue as much as I do!


Her dining room space...


Great fireplace screen...
 

Looking the other direction...
 

Even her daughter's room... (she's currently away at college)... shows panache...





a few other items that I loved in her spaces....

 
including the gusto she used in painting her side door just the perfect shade of blue...just because!


The view from the dining room...



30 years ago we met when we both students abroad in Florence, Italy....

                      (Me channeling Madonna on the far left...Tica in red scarf on far right)

Tica and I today...



XO Emily

3 comments:

  1. I really am taken with this Post. Tica is so talented and a special person (and friend)!!!
    She has created a remarkable home.!
    I especially love the floor mirror, dining room, unique furniture arrangement in the living room and the fabulous fireplace screen!!!
    Thanks to you both for allowing us to enjoy meeting Tica and seeing her home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Patty! So nice to hear from you too! Hope all is well with you and MC! Are you still enjoying your break from blogging?...I miss seeing your posts...although I meant to tell you I loved what you did with that IKEA black shelving! It looks superb- great styling! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that that this is an incredibly open space, it also has some area upstairs as well as it's overall "L" shape means that you can easily carry on a conversation without having to talk loudly.
    Wedding venues in San Diego

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...