Wednesday, February 8, 2012

The One Room Challenge...Week Four



If you are a regular visitor to RueDeEmily you know that I am involved in a One Room Challenge makeover series with 14 other bloggers. We each picked a room in our home that we committed to transforming in six weeks. I picked my pre-teen son's room. The time had come to take it from "planes, trains and automobiles" to "RL (Ralph Lauren) Industrial Hip"... at the bottom of this post I have links to the first three parts of this makeover. I mentioned last week that I would give more details about the light fixture we made for over the bed.
Besides artistic pursuits (my son is a painter) and snowboarding and water sports my son really loves animals.  I thought it would be kind of fun to incorporate animals in his new room design in an unusual and fun way. He agreed.

I happened upon a store that sold these wire balls in various sizes. You buy them in halved pieces and easily bolt them together....the rest of the design is up to you. You can put light bulbs in them, fill them with holiday lights, put anything in them that inspires you....at the store they used them in outdoor urns filled with interesting white balls.

Well, I saw this owl (vegetarian taxidermy is how the salesgirl described him since he is not a stuffed animal- but he isn't a real owl either-just a good faux) and I envisioned what you see above. My son and I both like owls. The are smart and since Monsieur " R" has always been a "night owl" this seemed just like the right and ironic element for the room.

My son named him Thornton. He sails above him as he sleeps. The light that it emits is soft and it sets the perfect ambiance which you will see in Week Six in the final reveal photos. I love that this was so easy to do and I can easily change out the insides of the ball or spray it eventually which will reinvent the piece as my son gets tired of it. We created a light switch on an extension cord (purchased at any hardware store) so my son can turn it off and on from his bed.


We are framing and filling the wall space with my son's artwork...

 I know I sound like a proud Mama here but he did these two when he was 9.

This is one of his recent works...and the one in the hot air balloon below is a self portrait he did a couple of years ago.

This is one of his first paintings so we had to keep it as a sentimental favorite!


 Remember our inspiration from Week One?


Well here is what we came up with. Found at Anthropologie by Monsieur "R". It was a must have purchase! He is covered in French newspaper. Doesn't everyone need a french paper mache elephant in their room? I must admit I love him too!


We found the best chair at IKEA for the desk. We found a leather chair for the room too but I will wait until the big reveal to show you that fun find. As you can see below the chair.... I pulled out  an oriental rug I had put in storage....for use in the room. It fit perfectly..spatially and from a design point of view. I am not usually a "saver" but I am so glad I put this rug away for a rainy day!


Here are some old sweatshirts the kids have outgrown. I am turning them and others into pillows. Using the fronts of the sweatshirts with the logos and then backing them with cool fabrics...linens, plaids...I am still on the hunt. So stay tuned!



We are getting closer to the big reveal of our room in Week 6 (only 2 weeks to go)
In the meantime if you want to see what my blogging buddies are up to as they work on their spaces please visit.....
Suzy at Saved By Suzy (girls room)
Jadyn at Dutch.British.Love ( dining room)
Nicole at Nicole Scott Designs (master bedroom)
Kim at Kim Macumber Interiors (living room
Jennifer at The Pink Pagoda (girls room)
Lisa at Trapped in North Jersey (dining room)
Kelly at Refreshed Designs (office)
Danylle at Nana Moon Shop (girls room)
Taylor at Taylor Morgan ( waiting to see)
Jen at Inside Ways (office
Linda at My Crafty Home Life (dining room)
Janet at House Four (dining room)
Sharon at (a life style thing) (master bedroom)
Tiffany at Living Savvy (master bedroom)

They should each have a button on their blog that will link to their posts. If you are interested in following my project from the beginning please click on Week One and then Week Two and Week Three and then Week Five.

25 comments:

  1. Emily you blow me away every week with your amazing progress! I love that this is a family activity too. fun!
    Your son's talent is very impressive.
    I have been saving my boys' tshirts etc to make a quilt one day (when I've saved enough) so I'll be looking forward to seeing what you do with yours :)
    As always, fabulous job this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janet! I appreciate the props! We have been having a lot of fun with it! I am heading over to see your progress right now too!

      Delete
  2. Wow, your son is so talented...although, so are you! You need a gallery wall of his artwork. I love those wire balls...now I'm on the hunt for them. I love the "vegetarian taxidermy"...so funny. This is going to be quite the reveal. I am dying to see how you interpret the pillows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda! I am going to fill his walls with his Artwork as he grows...

      Delete
  3. OK, this is just such a cute way to do a boy's room. Love the handmade art, love the elephant head and love the t-shirt pillows. Can't wait to see it all together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe your son drew those pictures when he was nine. Are you kidding me? Very talented. Everything is looking great. I love the idea of using the old t-shirts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am excited to see how these pillows come together...I am kind of winging it with the designs..

      Delete
  5. Emily, another great week. Way to go! The original paintings are fantastic and you should be a proud mamma..he is really good! I'm having fun with my decorating and glad to see you are too! Can't wait to see your next two reveals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicole...can you believe we only have 2 posts to go? That went fast!

      Delete
  6. The artwork is fabulous! As is the light, that's pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa! Good luck with your move. Your head must be spinning!

      Delete
  7. Emily, I always look forward to Wednesday to see what you've done to the room. I'm in love with that elephant head and your son is a talented artist. It's so nice to display their artwork!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Suzy. I feel the same about your room. I loved your post this week!

      Delete
  8. The light is so interesting! Your son is amazing! I'm glad you have such a great place to display his work -- he should be very proud of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Displaying his artwork was one of the main motivations in redoing the room.

      Delete
  9. Love the elephant...can't wait to see your finished room. Happy to be your newest follower!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for following me! I love meeting new people and their blogs through this experience. I will stop over and see you too!

      Delete
  10. I see that talent runs in the family! I love how you're working on this with your son and that his work will be on display in his room. That newspaper elephant is great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can see that talent runs in the family! How great that you & your son work together on this and that his work will be on display in his room. That newspaper covered elephant is awesome! Can't wait to see what else you do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the nice compliment Jadyn. He and I are birds of a feather...love all the same things. So it makes a project like this very fun! I am in love with the elephant too...his idea but now I am completely on board!

      Delete
  12. Sounds like a fun challenge. best of luck re-doing your son's room!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooooh it's really coming together. I like getting all of these little peeks into the accessories you two are choosing. So excited for week 6... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci Merci!! I am excited for week 6 too! To be done will feel great!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...