Saturday, January 28, 2012

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun...(in the snow)!

Many people in the Midwest dread the Winter. I am not a fan of the extremely cold temps and driving in icy conditions but I am a huge fan of snow! I love watching it fall. I love the way the world looks so different... blanketed in white. Most of all, I love getting out in it and having some fun! I love Winter activities that involve getting some fresh air and exercise at the same time...
                                                     
                                                             ice skating....


               sledding, snow shoeing, but my favorite thing is skiing.....


Especially cross-country skiing. 

For those of you who haven't tried it... here are it's benefits.... Great exercise... Less injury and cheaper than downhill skiing... Something fun close to home- since you can ski in most places...sometimes I ski out my driveway and around my neighborhood (much to the dismay of my children because of the chance one of their friends might recognize me)... and best of all this is an activity that whole family or a group of friends can do together!


I decided to start a skiing club with girlfriends early in the morning when the conditions are right. We get to spend quality time together in a perfect setting. It is best to go early when the trails are packed down a bit with fresh powder (usually the day after a good snowfall). If the temps get above 32 degrees the snow can get slushy and the trails aren't slick enough for optimal skiing.


 (Merci': TheDailyGreeen)

I get up early. Check the conditions. Email the girls. Find out who's in and head to a local nature preserve! This is a perfect way to start the day! I even love the drive into the property....



   I laughed and had to photograph the interior of my car...how many ladies travel around with yoga mats, ski equipment AND a silver tray in the back of their SUV? In reality, my girlfriend had just returned it to me after a party at her house....p.s. even though the ski boots make it look as if I am related to "Big Foot" I am only a size 10!

                                   
     We passed this fun out building with a great fireplace in the middle of the woods...I think it would be great to have a party here in the Fall with a roaring fire. Today, a little hot chocolate and a roaring fire would have been a nice offering as we were skiing by as well.....



















Mother Nature isn't cooperating this week for any skiing...too warm...and a thunderstorm (can you believe it..in January?) has washed away most of the snow...so for this week I hit the trail (so to speak) in my running shoes! That is okay too...because as I said...I like it all!

Have a wonderful Saturday!


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...