Saturday, December 12, 2015

Festive Spirit...2015



Tis' the Season...to break out the baubles and bows at RuedeEmily...I have to say this year has just flown by....the years seem to be doing that...


Every year I mix things up a bit...I get bored...I re purpose...I get lazy...or inspired...it is always changing....but my color scheme is always in the pink, blue and white with accents of green zone...it just works for me!

 Christmas from an aesthetic point of view is really just about making your every day spaces look special...not necessarily in red and green. Don't get me wrong...I love the traditional Christmas colors...they just don't work as well inside my house. I play along outside though..since I live in a very classic, traditional brick Colonial/wanna be Georgian home...pink and blue outside...hmm...can't lean that far...


Lately I've been crazy for fresh Amaryllis during the holidays...there is something so pure, elegant and lovely with it's long stemmed blooms...this year I mixed it with a boxwood wreath with hot pink Gerber daisies for fun....





a front closer view...



I do a lot of fresh boxwood wreaths inside and out but I also like wreaths that add a bit of sparkle and whimsy too...



Bows....Bows...Bows...




A simple way to "festive up" a nook is to add ornaments or lights....



I always like to add fresh oranges for display during the holidays...they definitely remind me of the Season....

another fun feathered- wreath...


Large pink carnations are a go-to for me in many of my flower arrangements all year in my little containers...they pack a wallop of color...are inexpensive...and LAST! I use them in all shades of pink and white. The holidays are no exception!


I decided to put a new collection of plates in a few deserving corners...on the left I found this fun duo at Anthropologie...I love the purposeful imperfection in their design. As you see on the right... I have had this wonderful European vase which is a collectible antique in my china cabinet for years...baby it's your time to shine!


My favorite hearth accessory has to have a little "bling" for the holiday too!



I recently redid my dining room and created a free-flowing Art gallery on my hutch. My house has limited wall space since I have a lot of windows and architectural elements...I personally love Art that is not necessarily "hung on a wall"...the layered look works for me too and is easily interchangeable.



I  "spruced" this space (holiday pun intended) up just a little by adding a couple of lit faux trees underneath and some wrapped boxes...


I did a lot of pre-decorating before my elves  non- Christian girlfriends...showed up to help me decorate the tree. Usually they assist me with all the ornaments but this year I wanted more time to visit over brunch...p.s. the presents under the tree aren't real...just a ton of wrapped boxes in beautiful paper and ribbon that I store in bins year to year.




This year I was inspired to put up a quickly designed bit of mistletoe... over the trim of a wide door...







The tree in a new corner this year...fully dressed and ready to go....


I entice my girlfriends to come help me decorate the tree by serving brunch... here are a few images...from this year's buffet...







I love making granola parfaits in these sweet pink tumblers....


Speaking of celebrations...my daughter wanted to celebrate her holiday birthday with her friends before everyone left for vacation. Trying to find a night in the first two weeks of December that worked for 25+ busy high school students was basically impossible. She decided to throw a pajama-party brunch...with a little Christmas flavor instead.

I wanted to do something fun and breakfast-themed for her cake. I constructed a cake that morning using long john donuts, sprinkled donut holes, fresh flowers, a bit of ribbon and candy canes. Necessity is the Mother of Invention!  I actually used a bit of packing foam for the base and some kabob skewers to hold the long john donuts in place in a circle. I varied chocolate with vanilla for some interest, tied with a ribbon and then filled with sprinkled donut holes. The cake was a big hit! So easy too!



 ...The donut hole center...


       and the birthday girl...

                                                    

                                       Happy Holidays!!
                                               xo Emily




1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...