Wednesday, January 25, 2012

The One Room Challenge...Week Two





Last Wednesday I described the "inspiration" (click here) for my son's bedroom makeover and now it is time for the "perspiration" behind this project to get underway! This post is a "behind the scenes" look at some of the prep and step (as in shopping-my favorite part)
to get this party (aka project) started.....

My husband handled the dis"MAN"tling as I like to refer to anything I don't particularly care to do in a home reno project.

After all I was busy at the paint store learning more about (and loving) the new healthly and eco- friendly Natura paint line by Benjamin Moore.


Monsieur R wanted to get in with the painters union so we put him to work too!


My hubby considers himself the Leonardo Da Vinci of painting trim so I let him have at it!



While they were busy painting I went out shopping for a few essentials. One of the biggest projects in this room makeover involves finding and sewing the curtains for the captain's bed ( inspiration photo below...only the vibe-not the exact look..)

                                                             

I found a great beige-grayish upholstery grade twill (below far left) at a local fabric store. It was in the 40% off rack so we're off to a great start!

I stopped by the trims to see if there was anything interesting...but there wasn't for this project...but I am a lady who can't make a trip to a fabric store without swinging by the trims and tassles...
 I then moved on to another fabric store to find some fabulous material for an inspiration/bulletin board for the room. By this time I had picked up my son for his consultation on this part of the project. We both got very excited when we spotted this faux alligator leather (again on sale). We picked up some silver grommets to use as trim around the edges...more on this later.

We are going to cover a big canvas in forming the inspiration/bulletin board. As any painter knows big canvases are not cheap...so I decided to look for a canvas on sale or already printed with a design on sale...(seeing a theme here?) Sometimes that is a more economical way to go if you are going to cover the canvas with heavy fabric anyway. 

Found: $19.99 at Ikea! I will post the details of this project next week.


My friend and "creative partner in crime" Mademoiselle S (aka fabulous seamstress and spray painter..with a myriad of other talents) was available to help me create a two toned curtain panel for the captain's bed.

 

It took hours of cutting and sewing but the results are exactly what I had in mind. Obviously, the big reveal will come later but here is a preview...

I designed an awning topper and had it made by a local awning company.





HARDWARE USED for this project:
I went to the hardware store and got two wooden poles thick enough to support the weight of the curtains and the awning ( the awning is placed in the higher position on the wall and requires a thinner pole) and then placed two metal brackets (on each end of the width of the curtain panels) and painted them the same color as the walls. I used wooden vs. metal poles but you can use either. I slid the top of the fabric sleeve through each pole and hung them up. The curtain panels can open and close with ease.


Next week I will focus in on details regarding specific elements in the room....
In the meantime, if you would like to visit my blogging buddies who are in this with me please visit...

                                    
Suzy at Saved By Suzy (girls room)
Jadyn at Dutch.British.Love ( dining room)
Nicole at Nicole Scott Designs (master bedroom)
Kim at Kim Macumber Interiors (living room
Jennifer at The Pink Pagoda (girls room)
Lisa at Trapped in North Jersey (dining room)
Kelly at Refreshed Designs (office)
Danylle at Nana Moon Shop (girls room)
Taylor at Taylor Morgan ( waiting to see)
Jen at Inside Ways (office
Linda at My Crafty Home Life (dining room)
Janet at House Four (dining room)
Sharon at (a life style thing) (master bedroom)
Tiffany at Living Savvy (master bedroom)

they should each have a button on their blog that will link to their posts. Please click on Week Three for the next installment in this series.

11 comments:

  1. Wow, you go a lot done! I love that awning..and can't wait to see exactly what that is and how it will look. Your husband and son look like they were doing an awesome job on the paint.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had a great first week! Love the deal on the IKEA canvas...great idea to re-use that. Never thought of that before (going in the memory banks for another time).

    ReplyDelete
  3. That blue is amazing! The captions bed is going to be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really curious to see this all put together. It looks like it's going to be amazing from what I've seen so far.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, now I'm really curious to see what this will look like! I like the no-VOC paint as well, and used the CIL Naturaliving version.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhh, I wish my husband liked to paint! I think your room is going to look great! I'm excited to see the bed and the faux alligator with nailhead trim will be so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Clearly you are not kidding around, Emily you are on fire!! And I love the captain bed draping idea and of course I love the blue as the choice for the walls. Don't be afraid of the dark is my current paint motto!! I'm super impressed with how much you did this week. Can't wait until next wed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love what you have done ... you have put a fire under me!! I also love the tip about using old canvases! Great way to save a little money!! your son is lucky to have such a talented mom!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't wait to see next week! Of course you don't need a blank canvas if you're covering it! Sadly, my brain would have only thought of a blank canvas! Clever tip!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't wait to see how the curtain panels came out. I LOVE navy and white. When my fiance and I paint, I always do the trim - I love it. Isn't it great to have a trim person in the household?

    ReplyDelete
  11. How fun that you all worked on the room together! The awning looks awesome, I can't wait to see the curtains & awning up! Looking forward to seeing that alligator bulleting board too!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...