Wednesday, February 1, 2012

The One Room Challenge....Week Three


You might be wondering what my hubby, Skip and I are doing....all in the name of the One Room Challenge! My son and I decided we wanted to create a few end tables for his room out of tree stumps that we would paint in a high gloss white. I picked up stumps for his project curbside in the neighborhood a few months ago. A neighbor had to cut down a tree to make way for a new garage.

I was on a snowy walk early Sunday morning and found a larger stump that I figured I might want to use in another room....and while we were doing the cutting and painting it just made sense to do the entire project for BOTH of us at once. So I walked home and got my trooper of a husband and he came with the dolly so we could load it up and get it home! Hence the picture above!
My son's set of tables is on the left and my side table is on the right! Careful measuring to create an even surface is essential and then the fun part.....
 Skip is just the best...he got this done in a matter of minutes!

........and then my son and I started painting.......Since some of the other bloggers in this challenge have posted their..." sans makeup, good hair, sweatshirt wearing working poster" pics I followed suit with these photos of Skip and myself taken by my son. It gives us all "street cred" ...less anyone thinks we have elves executing all these projects! Although an elf or two would have been nice...the garage floor was chilly!

in terms of an update on the bulletin board project from last week....the very large IKEA canvas went from this....



to this.......

Very simply and inexpensively done! We found faux alligator hide and duck taped it tightly around the back of the existing canvas from IKEA and then added the grommet detail evenly around the edges with a hammer. I added the silver grommets because I liked the contemporary feel of the silver with the traditional leather-esq fabric. The grommets also secure the fabric in place so they do double duty.
 The whole project took about 20 minutes!

Next week I will share more about the cool lighting we have been designing and building and start to reveal some of the accessory choices for the space.....

lit


unlit


We are getting closer to the big reveal of our room in Week 6 (only 3 weeks to go)
In the meantime if you want to see what my blogging buddies are up to as they work on their spaces please visit.....
Suzy at Saved By Suzy (girls room)
Jadyn at Dutch.British.Love ( dining room)
Nicole at Nicole Scott Designs (master bedroom)
Kim at Kim Macumber Interiors (living room
Jennifer at The Pink Pagoda (girls room)
Lisa at Trapped in North Jersey (dining room)
Kelly at Refreshed Designs (office)
Danylle at Nana Moon Shop (girls room)
Taylor at Taylor Morgan ( waiting to see)
Jen at Inside Ways (office
Linda at My Crafty Home Life (dining room)
Janet at House Four (dining room)
Sharon at (a life style thing) (master bedroom)
Tiffany at Living Savvy (master bedroom)

They should each have a button on their blog that will link to their posts. If you are interested in following my project from the beginning please click on Week One and then Week Two. Or if you are ready to see more click on Week Four.

15 comments:

  1. That board is fantastic! I love the nail heads. I can't wait to see the logs in place...great tip! Skip is a great sport.That lighting looks interesting. I can't quite tell what it is...chicken wire? Guess I'll find out next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found an interesting store that carried these interesting wire (heavier than chicken wire) orbs in various sizes. You just have to bolt the two halfs together. The owl and lights were our additions.

      Delete
  2. You are working at warp speed!! Love, love, love the bulletin board! and Can't wait to see how the tree stumps turn out! You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim...still painting those tree stumps. On my third coat of paint and then I need to add the high gloss on top! Appreciate the props!!

      Delete
  3. The tree stumps are a great idea. Are you spraying them or brushing? The bulletin board looks great and I love that it took only 20 minutes. Will definitely have to try that. Loving what I'm seeing so far. Can't wait till next Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tiffany,

      I am painting them with a brush in high gloss white because the paint goes on thicker and there is so much texture the brush strokes won't matter. Then I will spray on a high gloss sealant. I am excited to see them in the space...since it is cold... a lot of dry time needed in between coats of paint!

      Delete
  4. Love the bulletin board! I'm looking forward to seeing the tree stumps painted. They will be so fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super progress again this week! Wowza Emily! I am so impressed with your great ideas and all that you've accomplished. This room is going to be so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're the DIY queen this week Emily!
    Such great ideas.
    LOVE the painted stumps :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also love using wood stumps inside- so cute and free! And I just love your faux alligator bulletin board. Great idea for a boy's room.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really can't wait to see the tree stumps painted. And my daughter would want me to ask about the significance of the owl. Hedwig possibly? : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The significance of the owl is simply that he looks cool in the lamp and we both like that owls represent wisdom! Most people will think it is a nod to something else and that is cool too! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  9. I want some stumps! I have for the longest time... but one cuts down trees around here! The room is going to look great! The bulletin board is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The white stumps are genius. I. Want. One. I can't WAIT to see how they look in the room!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Emily, LOVE how the bulletin board turned out. I am going to have to steal that idea!! And your hubs is a trouper. YOU are so cute painting and hauling and painting in snowy, cold weather. That looks and sounds so hard, but well worth the effort. I can't wait to see the room!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...