Monday, October 17, 2011

Celebrating Sukkot with a blue hue....



Sukkot is a Jewish religious holiday celebrated on the 15th day of the month in late September to late October (depending on the Jewish calendar). The holiday lasts seven days.The Hebrew word sukkōt is the plural  of sukkah which is a walled structure covered with skhakh (plant material such as leafy tree overgrowth or palm leaves). The sukkah is intended as a reminiscence of the type of fragile dwellings in which the Israelites dwelt during their 40 years of travel in the desert after fleeing from slavery in Eygypt. Throughout the holiday meals are eaten inside the sukkah and many sleep there as well. I am not Jewish but this is by far my favorite Jewish holiday! (goodness knows I would be all over this one if I was!) I am very blessed with lovely and creative Jewish girlfriends who include me and my family in this wonderful tradition. This past weekend we got to attend two festive sukkot evening gatherings and I've included a picture of a lunch gathering from last year.











1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...