Sunday, January 20, 2013

Home Made...


Spending so much time this year decorating Christmas ...while articulating and creating my vision for my favorite holiday for the BH&G shoot... made me examine my complete passion for the total HOME experience...from decorating, to entertaining, to gardening, to cooking....where did it all begin?

Why do some people fuss and fancy all things HOME and others just are happy to hang their hat somewhere warm and dry with a decent kitchen and flat screen television? I can't imagine living life that simply without this continual love affair as part of my daily doings....

I think the process of falling in love with HOME must start somewhere at the beginning...I grew up in a home built in the 1860's...with the most beautiful architectural elements (as well as windows with drafts and a scary cellar) with some fun history attached to it.

President Taft actually got stuck out on the upper balcony giving a speech...he was a little too plump to fit easily in and out of my former bedroom window. I remember reading about it in the local library as a young girl and being transfixed with all the details of my home which at that time had already existed for more than one hundred years...I loved the idea of all the lives that had been lived in it during that time...

I also loved watching my parents restore and improve it during the almost 20 years we lived there....maybe this is where it all began...I have such an appreciation for restored spaces to this day!

What I've concluded is that although sometimes this love and obsession about HOME might be exhausting...I wouldn't want to live any other way...do you and would you?

                                 Me at 3.....

6 comments:

  1. Love those photos - both beautiful. Lucky you growing up in such a gorgeous looking home. My last house was Victorian, high ceilings, marble fireplaces,original floors and windows etc. But it drove me crazy because it required so much (expensive) upkeep. It amazes me that some people really do see their home as simply a place to chuck their clothing and lay down at night. I love my home and want it to be comfortable and clean, even with a long-haired cat & dog and the untidiest man in the world living in it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a great Victorian but I agree with you on the expensive upkeep of these old gems..sadly the house I grew up in has fallen into some disrepair probably due to that fact. Thanks for visiting and all your lovely comments SK!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i LOVED reading this Post! How wonderful to have had the opportunity to grow up in that HOME!
    Yes, I am obsessed with HOME, and YES I wouldn't want it any other way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Patty...I KNOW you are a kindred spirit!

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous home, beautiful post, and certainly the cutest little girl ever.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...