Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Bedroom Built-Ins...


"AFTER"


"BEFORE"

Our master bedroom inherited a big armoire over a decade ago when we did a rather extensive home remodel.

 We had custom built-ins created for our downstairs living spaces so it needed to move.. at that time...not willing to part with it...because it provided such great storage... I stuck it in our bedroom, repainted it and it held our television and bed linens...but from a design standpoint I knew the room could do better...



recently  my daughter agreed to let me give it a little make-over since she needed more storage...and it moved happily next door....into her room where it looks much better and is tremendously functional.


SO....

I finally got to design built-ins (yes- I love them..most always a great solution in a space) for the two walls in our bedroom that previously were the "eyesore" for me in the space...

I drew out the design...and worked out all the details with my carpenter....down to specifics...



including a remote control for the lighting that I can operate from my nightstand...

I have multiple hues of lighting so that the right brightness can be achieved without having to leave my bed,,,including an on/off switch! I love technology!!



lights off...


and lit...the light isn't this yellow...difficult to capture correctly...


I love how crisp and fresh the space looks now...

and what fun I will have changing the accessories around on all the shelves...I used what I had around the house to get things started...but these shelves will be constantly changing...






pure bliss...let the treasure hunting begin!


Adding these built-ins floor to ceiling has actually made the room look so much larger...


We saved the almost 100 year old ceiling trim to be able to reuse it on the top of the cabinets so it matched the rest of the trim throughout the room...it would have been almost impossible to match- and cohesive trim work is a pet peeve of mine!



I found really fun vintage hardware that looks great on the bottom cabinet doors as well!



Now....onto a few other design opportunities...in our upstairs bath and hall....when the weather gets frigid and I am cooped up inside too long..spaces get changed...lol...stay tuned...

XO Emily






No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...